- CGSC#: 5087
- Strain Designation
Designation Source Preference H560 Hoffmann-Berling H. 1
- Sex(Hfr,F+,F-,or F'): F+
- 4 Mutations:
Mutation Location Certainty Display tsx-79 9.28 1 tsx-79 endA2 66.57 1 endA2 rpsL8 or rpsL154(strR) 73.00 1 rpsL8 or rpsL154(strR) polA1(Am) 87.18 1 polA1(Am)
- 1. We have received reports that H560 is not a very satisfactory strain. It is said to have received around 1/2 of the chromosome from E. coli strain C. It is F+ and is sensitive to acridine
- 2.orange so that it is difficult to cure. It is temperature-sensitive at 45 degrees C. The strain is rather difficult to transduce. It forms "odd" colonies on plates and tends to die out easily.
- 3. It seems likely that there is a Thy- derivative of H560 which is often called simply ``H560". We suggest calling this derivative ``H560,Thy-."
- This is not a pure K-12 strain.
- This strain is an E. coli K-12 x E. coli C hybrid. It has K-12 restriction and modification. It is φX sensitive.
- Vosberg, HP, H Hoffmann-Berling 1971. DNA synthesis in nucleotide-permeable Escherichia coli cells. I. Preparation and properties of ether-treated cells. J. Mol. Biol. 58(3):739-53.