GN3      Source of Strain:
F- Chromosomal Markers: ΔphoA8
, thiE1Strain Comments:
- adk-3(ts)-- is a temperature-sensitive mutation.
- galK35-- is Brenner's gal-U99 from Hfr 3000 U99 and has been called galK99
- thyA25-- Strains with this marker must have their medium supplemented with thymine (25ug/ml). This is true even for rich medium such as LB. Otherwise thymine starvation can lead to thymineless death.
- glpD3-- GlpD loss also results in stasis with gluconeogenic C sources, e.g.,succinate. glpA or glpD mutants should be grown on min.salts+1% glycerol-free casein hydrolysate+1% glucose.
- glpD3-- Loss of G-3-P dehydrogenase (aerobic) results in inability of strains to grow on glycerol or glycerol-3-P as sole carbon source.
- spoT1-- In addition to the 6bp insertion, there is a C to T transition resulting in an H257Y substitution.
- thiE1 was formerly called thi-1
- xyl-7 was formerly called xylA7
- glpc = constitutive expr.glp regulon
- strR = streptomycin resist.
- T2R = T2 Resistant
- ts = Temperature Sensitive
- Cronan, J.E., G.N. Godson 1972. Mutants of Escherichia coli with temperature-sensitive lesions in membrane phospholipid synthesis: genetic analysis of glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase mutants. Mol.Gen.Genet. 116:199-210
- Godson, GN 1973. Isolation and partial characterization of temperature-sensitive mutants in ten loci that affect cell membrane synthesis in Escherichia coli: isolation and genetic sorting. J. Bacteriol. 113(2):813-24.
- Ray, TK, JE Cronan, GN Godson 1976. Specific inhibition of phospholipid synthesis in plsA mutants of Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 125(1):136-41.