W3110      Source of Strain:
F- Chromosomal Markers: λ-
, rph-1Strain Comments:
- Concerning the Pedigree (Reference below): See Chart 8. Note that strain W1485 does not carry supE42.
- The Hill and Harnish (1981) reference below is for IN(rrnD-rrnE)1.
- IN(rrnD-rrnE)1-- Inverts the region between rrnD (73.74 min) and rrnE (90.66 min)
- rph-1-- is a 1 bp deletion that results in frameshift over last 15 codons and has polar effect on pyrE leading to suboptimal pyrimidine levels on minimal medium.(Jensen 1993 JBact.175:3401)
- Bachmann, BJ 1972. Pedigrees of some mutant strains of Escherichia coli K-12. Bacteriol.Rev. 36(4):525-57.
- Hill, C.W., B.W. Harnish 1981. Inversions between ribosomal RNA genes of Escherichia coli. Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.USA 78:7069-7072
- Jensen, K.F. 1993. The Escherichia coli K-12 "wild types" W3110 and MG1655 have an rph frameshift mutation that leads to pyrimidine starvation due to low pyrE expression levels. J.Bacteriol. 175:3401-3407
- Bachmann, B.J. 1996. Derivation and genotypes of some mutant derivatives of Escherichia coli K-12. In: Neidhardt et al., eds. ASM:2460-2488