HW-1C2      Source of Strain:
Hoffman & WilhelmSex:
F- Chromosomal Markers: phoA4
, valR116Strain Comments:
- This strain is valine resistant (ValR116).
- phoA4(Am)-- is Garen's phoAS26 . It is suppressed by leuX151, glnV33(=supE33) and serU132(=supD32).
- thyA31-- Strains with this marker must have their medium supplemented with thymine (25ug/ml). This is true even for rich medium such as LB. Otherwise thymine starvation can lead to thymineless death.
- valR116-- the nature of ValR is not known.
- serU132(AS) was formerly called supD32
- serU132(AS) was formerly called Su1+
- Am = amber(UAG) mutation
- AS = amber(UAG) suppressor
- strR = streptomycin resist.
- Hoffman, E.P., R. Wilhelm 1970. Genetic mapping and dominance of the amber suppressor, Su1 (supD) in Escherichia coli K-12. J.Bacteriol. 103:32-36